> October 11th marks the 2nd anniversary of my daughter Kendi's death. A nurse's mistake took her life at the age of 20. The job of this father was to protect her [she was severely handicapped] and I failed. Oh, how I miss her.
 

My, How Times Change [Or Do We?]


All In The Family


All in the Family came on to the scene in the early 1970s, and changed the way America watched television. Out was Ward and June Cleaver. In was Archie and Edith Bunker. Gone was the hand-holding, family at the dinner table sit com. The Bunkers fought, they yelled, and they sounded more like the family across the street than the Cleavers.

I enjoyed All In The Family so very much. I sided politically more often with Mike, and was uncomfortable with Archie's patriotic, flag waving ways. Man, look around you, Arch. Things arn't that good. But that was during a time when things weren't so good in America. Vietnam. Watergate. Inflation and high oil prices. No, it wasn't fun being an American.

Today, however, I side far more often with Archie. No, not that grumpy, bigoted side, but I do have today those family values that he so uniquely espoused. I think I am typical of most humans I think. At 18 or so, you tend to be more liberal, wanting to have the world and not have to pay the price for enjoying it. As you get older, you become more hard working, more dedicated and more appreciative of those in the world who carry with them a value system.

"By da way Glenn Miller played .... songs that made the hit pa-rade...."


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?