> October 11th marks the 2nd anniversary of my daughter Kendi's death. A nurse's mistake took her life at the age of 20. The job of this father was to protect her [she was severely handicapped] and I failed. Oh, how I miss her.
 

The Summer of 1969

Well ... I USED to be cute. Compare this picture with the one shown in my profile. Sigh. "The times, they are a changing"

1969 was a wonderful year. I turned 13 in May, finally, officially, a teenager! My Mother had died in 1967, and that stinging, sinking feeling associated with her loss had finally begun to subside.

This photograph was taken in June, from our 6th floor apartment balcony. We lived in the Lake Barcroft apartments, just down the road from 7-corners in suburban Washington D.C. The apartment was very nice, although I had to share a bedroom with my Dad [so unfair for a 13 year old]. But we had a lot of nice amenities: swimming pool, pool and ping pong tables, weight room and sauna -- all a very big deal in 1969.

It was a great summer. I spent every afternoon at the pool [notice the tan] and every evening with my little red Toshiba transistor radio, listening to MY boys of summer, the Washington Senators. That was the one and only winning season for my team during their 10 years in D.C., making the summer even that more special.

Summer. Baseball. Swimming. And, to top it off, girls didn't seem quite as creepy as they did the previous summer.


Comments:
Hey, real sweet!!! just made me want to cry!!!! just kiddin. this is your brother-in-law, dave. nice page
 
this blog is a piece of art. i'll add you to my 'friendly fires' list right away.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?