> October 11th marks the 2nd anniversary of my daughter Kendi's death. A nurse's mistake took her life at the age of 20. The job of this father was to protect her [she was severely handicapped] and I failed. Oh, how I miss her.
 

The Things We Do For Parents

Oh, How Embarrassing

Now, I have to admit that I probably goaded my Dad into taking this picture, but hey, he's the adult and should have realized it was a bad idea. Oh well.

This was taken in our apartment in the Barcroft Towers, next to Munson Hill Apartments on Arlington Blvd in Falls Church. It was Christmas, 1968. It was our second Christmas without my Mom, who died suddenly at the age of 40 in February, 1967. Take a look at the small, sad looking Christmas tree behind me. That was about the size of those first few Christmas seasons while our family was in morning.

I guess I'm supposed to be leaving the batters box after whacking the ball into centerfield, and my Dad's camera froze me in some kind of stop-action silliness. Cool in 1968. Very embarrassing in 2005. Notice the lack of any logos or team designs anywhere. That just wasn't around in 1968 I never owned a Washington Senators cap; I don't think any of my friends did either. You couldn't buy the real thing at the store, and no one carried the replicas. That hat I'm wearing came from Drug Fair. It was bright red and the closest thing I could find to a Nats cap.
With my luck, I was probably thrown out at first base.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?