> October 11th marks the 2nd anniversary of my daughter Kendi's death. A nurse's mistake took her life at the age of 20. The job of this father was to protect her [she was severely handicapped] and I failed. Oh, how I miss her.
 

Beirut Lebanon: Beautiful Then, And Again

[October 30th] -- Many friends and acquaintances who know that I come from the Middle East always assume that I came to the United States because of the "backward nature" of the region. Oh, if they only knew.

This is a photo of my mother, my brother Nabil and me [I'm the cute little tyke] enjoying ourselves on "Long Beach" in Beirut, Lebanon. My father took the picture in 1959. The beach was every bit as modern and "up to date" as any of the American beaches of the era. Notice that there isn't a single person wearing traditional Arab clothing. This was a time before Islamic fundamentalism took hold throughout the region. In addition, Beirut was a melting pot of cultures; there was no "right" or "wrong" religion, color or background. This "communal community" concept was long forgotten by the 1970's when Beirut was ravaged by a destructive and debilitating civil war. Slowly, Lebanon is beginning to revert back to its roots of openness and inclusiveness.

But, it's going to take some time yet.


Comments:
just scrolling through blogs and came across yours. what a fantastic thing for your kids. My father was an immigrant to Canada, and I would love to have something like this of his to read.
Peace to you.
 
Your blog is beautiful. Your life hasn't been easy... it takes courage to share all that. The pictures are absolutely gorgoeus by the way. Good luck in school.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?