> October 11th marks the 2nd anniversary of my daughter Kendi's death. A nurse's mistake took her life at the age of 20. The job of this father was to protect her [she was severely handicapped] and I failed. Oh, how I miss her.
 

My, How Kids Have Changed ...

[October 23rd] -- The picture on the left is me at age five, in 1961. The image on the right is a typical 5 year-old today. Times, they are a changing.

Getting ready for school was much harder a generation ago. I had to wet down my hair and slick it back. The "do" wasn't just hygiene, it was a work of art. All of my clothes had to be ironed. No really, I mean ALL my clothes. My t-shirt, my underwear, even my socks had to look "just so." Then, it was down the stairs where my Dad took a close look to make sure that I was someone he could be proud of. Throughout the day, at school, on the bus, at the baby sitters, adults made sure that we clean and presentable. At night, I began the process of getting ready for the next day.

Today, kids wake up 10 minutes before they have to be out the door, pick out their clothes from the pile on the floor that looks the cleanest, and shuffles out the door. The authority figures they come in contact with during the day, teachers, principals, bus drivers, can't intervene when the child's clothes are inappropriate. The parents have that authority, but are too busy, or self-absorbed to care.

I must say that I didn't much care for all the scrutiny growing up. Clean this. Fix that. Go there. Eat this. But in retrospect, it was well worth it. I was taught respect and self esteem. Today, I care how I look when I go out in public. I care about others. I value rules. This all came from my father demanding from the best I had. The kids today who never comb their hair, who wear clothes that are unkempt and dirty don't have a great deal of self-worth. They've been taught that.

Hey Dad, I guess you were right.


Comments:
"The kids today who never comb their hair, who wear clothes that are unkempt and dirty don't have a great deal of self-worth."

Either that or their clothes were kempt and clean when they left the house...but after standing outside at bus stops in the heat and riding on un-air-conditioned school buses, their pores are gushing gallons of sweat onto their hair and clothes. :( Not all school years end before heat waves begin. What's a kid who can't both drive and afford an air-conditioned car supposed to do, show her sweaty face in public or drop out of school?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?