> October 11th marks the 2nd anniversary of my daughter Kendi's death. A nurse's mistake took her life at the age of 20. The job of this father was to protect her [she was severely handicapped] and I failed. Oh, how I miss her.
 

My Favorite Little Corner Of Washington D.C.

[January 28th] - I'm often asked by my Idaho neighbors what part of my suburban Washington neighborhood did I miss most.

My answer is always the same. I miss the part where the Washington "poor" lived.

This is a photo of the Culmore Shopping Center, just a mile or so north of Bailey's Crossroad, and a mile or so south of Seven Corners. It was a middle class neighborhood, perhaps just a tinch below middle class. Behind the shopping center was an endless maze of tiny two-story brick apartments, built in the early 1940's to handle the influx of war workers into the the area. By 1972, when this image was taken, the residents were working class families just trying to make it to their next paycheck. In the distance were Skyline Towers, high-rise, high-income apartments that supplanted the local piper-cub airport. They were just steel and concrete skeletons at this point. Behind me (I was the photographer), Leesburg Pike began to climb until it reached Seven Corners at the top of the hill. With the exception of a small patch of those same WWII brick apartments, Seven Corners was an upper-income area as well, with stores such as Lord and Taylors and Woodward and Lothrops dotting the landscape.

I spent most of my time in and around this region in between the "money" areas of Falls Church. The people were nice, average and carried no aires about them. They were truck drivers and cement workers and assistant managers, people with little money but a lot of decency. Their cars were older and their clothing simple, but they were fun to be around.

My high school (J.E.B. Stuart) was a mix of the very rich and the very middle-class, and social cliques were stratified and almost impossible to join if you didn't "belong." Although I lived in an apartment building that was home to one senator and three congressman, I tended to hang out with friends who lived in and around Culmore.

Today, I'm sure that this part of my old neighborhood has been rebuilt and revitalized and the middle-class can no longer afford to live there. And that's sad, because from this financially struggling part of suburban Washington came many great and important people, high school friends who are today doctors, lawyers, career politicians and members of the military. They proved that you didn't have to have a great deal to become a great person.


Comments:
Let's paint this on every wall.

Revenge is the fuel for the fires of Hell
thus Satan fears forgiveness
because grace not only quells his flames
it weakens his dominion

Remember: Hatred destroys the vessel that contains it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?